With the summer heat behind us, taking care of your beard should not be over. A fall of temperatures, cold winds, and a decrease in humidity tend to dry out your skin and beard. This can impact the appearance and quality of your beard and make it irritating for your skin. You can prevent all that with a consistent skin and beard care routine. Here are some tips that should help you maintain your beard, while keeping your skin soft.
1. MOISTURIZE YOUR HAIR AND SKIN The Autumn weather can really dry out your skin, and so can heaters when your indoors. It is important to use a moisturizer regularly to prevent that from happening. We recommend to add a beard butter along with your daily beard oil and grooming routine. Beard butter will help soften and deeply hydrate your skin, which will help protect it from drying out. See our Beard & body butter here. Be sure to use a good beard conditioner a few times a week to keep your hair well hydrated.
2. COLD WEATHER WILL DRY OUT YOUR BEARD In the warmer months you have help from nature to keep your beard and skin moisturized. When the weather changes and starts getting cold, there is less humidity and the air gets dry. This change requires us to use more beard oil than we did during the summer months. In addition adding a beard balm that contains beeswax will help lock in the moisture from your beard oil which will help keep your hair from drying out.
3. SAY NO TO HOT WATER There’s nothing like a hot shower when it’s freezing outside. While a hot shower may feel good, hot water is not healthy for your beard or your skin. Hot water can damage and strip your beard and skin of its natural oils which causes dry, brittle hair, and itchy irritated skin. These natural oils protect and moisturize your hair and skin. It is best to turn the water temperature down and take a cool or lukewarm shower when possible.
4. TRY A NEW SCENT It's always new and exciting to experiment with new scents. Warmer and richer fragrances usually work best in the fall. It’s a great idea to try out some seasonal scents and find the one(s) that works best for you.
5. BEARDS GROW SLOWER IN FALL & WINTER In the summertime we are usually going on vacation with our families or out and about. Physical activity generates testosterone in, which aids in beard growth. So When it's cold outside and we tend to stay in more our beards can grow slower. To combat this, make sure to exercise and consume foods that boost testosterone. Beef and Tuna are two excellent testosterone rich foods that you can add to your diet.
Autumn is already here. Is your beard and skin ready?